|Did this site save
(or help earn) you money?
Say thanks with a
TWI Designjet Documents library presented here as a courtesy of
The owners of this website have no affiliation to Hewlett Packard nor do we
claim to represent HP
in any way shape or form.
to TWI Documents Library Index Page
In this document:
KRS document number: BPP90134
Last Updated: 03-Jan-2002
Minimum skill level: 2
System error 21:10 is generated when the printer has detected a fault in the Service
Station. Causes of this error can include the Service Station or
Carriage. Follow the steps listed below to accurately troubleshoot the issue, and replace the appropriate parts.
Parts required (part numbers are subject to change)
If any of the troubleshooting steps listed below solve the problem, attempt to verify printer functionality (instructions listed below). If functionality is verified, no additional parts should be replaced.
- Turn the printer off, then on to verify error. If no error attempt to verify functionality.
- If the error appears or problems persist, continue with the remaining steps.
- Follow the steps directly below to unlock the Carriage from the Service
- Highlight the Set-Up menu and press the ENTER button.
- Press the UP arrow and ENTER buttons simultaneously and press the ENTER button.
- Highlight Service Utilities and press the ENTER button.
- Highlight Unlock Carriage and press the ENTER button.
- Unplug the power cord from the printer.
- Manually move the Carriage assembly out from the
Service Station area and check for obstructions (remove as needed).
NOTE: If you are unable to release the Carriage by the previous process, remove the right end-cover and locate the main Service station gear (as pictured below in Figure 1) and rotate it counter clockwise approximately four revolutions. The Carriage assembly should now be free from the Service
Figure 1: Service Station Gear
- If an obstruction is found and removed, plug the power cord in, turn the printer On and attempt to verify functionality.
- If no obstruction was found or the problem persists, continue with the remaining steps.
- Disconnect the power cord from the printer.
- Remove the right end-cover from the printer.
- Open the top cover and manually move the
Carriage to the left so that it is not over the
Service Station (refer to Step 3 for instructions).
- The Service Station flag should be at about a 45-degree angle as pictured below in Figure 2.
Figure 2: Service Station flag correctly positioned
- If the flag is correctly positioned continue with Step 16.
- If the flag is not at a 45-degree angle, press in gently on the bottom of the gray and rotate the bottom of the flag to the right (toward the back of the printer) until the top of the flag clips into the tab on the Service
Station. The flag should stay at about a 45-degree angle.
- Plug in the power cord and turn the printer on.
- If no error appears, attempt to verify functionality.
- If the error reappears continue with the remaining steps.
- Turn the printer off and disconnect the power cord.
- Replace the
Service Station assembly (refer to pg. 8-52 of the HP Designjet 500 and 800 Series Service Manual).
NOTE: The printer firmware must be upgraded to A.02.04 or higher for the new Service Station to work. The new Service Station does not have an Aerosol fan and older firmware will check for the Aerosol fan, thus causing another system error.
- Following replacement, turn the printer on and verify functionality as instructed below.
Verifying printer functionality
- Turn the printer on.
- Allow initialization to complete.
- Load media into the printer.
- From the main front-panel menu, select the Ink menu and press ENTER.
- Select Troubleshooting and press ENTER.
- Follow the instructions on the Front panel.
- Following a successful troubleshooting print, functionality is verified.
Copyright Hewlett-Packard Co. 2001
This information is subject to change without notice and
is provided "as is" with no warranty.
Hewlett-Packard shall not be liable for any direct,
indirect, special, incidental or consequential damages
in connection with the use of this material.
to TWI Documents Library Index Page
Big on OEM New, Remanufactured and Compatible Ink, Ribbons and toners for
Printers, Plotters and Postage Machines