In this document:
KRS document number: BPP90114
Last updated: 20-Nov-2002
Minimum skill level: 2
An ink leak has been detected underneath the
assembly. Symptoms include ink drops on media, or excessive ink drops anywhere along the Y-axis (Carriage path). There are two root causes for this failure: a plastic injection failure in the Valve Housing, or a crack in the Valve Housing. In either case an on-site CE must be sent to replace the
station, Tubes assembly and Ink Cartridges. CE must also thoroughly clean the Print Carriage, Print Platen, and Y-axis path free of excess ink. Following the replacement of parts, the new tubes system must be primed correctly and the EEROM
Service station counter must be reset. Follow the steps in this document to resolve this issue.
NOTE: It is critical that the firmware is upgraded to the newest version before dispatching service. Old firmware will generate a 21:10 error after a new
Service station is installed (firmware will be looking for Aerosol fan in SS assembly that is no longer included in the new SS assembly). Instructions for upgrading the printer's firmware are provided below.
- Torx T-8, T-15, and T-20 drivers
- Lint free cloths
Parts required (part numbers are subject to change)
The symptoms listed in the summary usually indicate leaking
tubes. Another check that can be performed is to bring the Carriage
out either manually or by pressing the replace the ink system key. Look under the
Carriage, if the tubes are leaking, there will usually be a drop of ink where the tubes connect to the septum.
- Verify ink leak is present.
- Remove and replace the Ink Supply tubes and the Service Station (refer to pages 6-60 through 6-63 and 8-52 through 8-54 of the Service Manual.)
NOTE: The printer firmware must be upgraded to A.02.04 or higher for the new Service Station to work. The new Service Station does not have an Aerosol fan and older firmware will check for the Aerosol fan, thus causing another system error.
- Following or during replacement, it is necessary to thoroughly clean the
Carriage, Print Platen, and Y-axis path free of excess ink, using a lint free cloth dampened with water.
CAUTION: Following repair, the
setup printheads (included with Tubes assy) must be installed for correct priming of new
assembly. If the priming process is not done correctly, the end user will most likely receive "Out of ink" or "Low of ink" messages, which may require another Tubes assembly replacement.
Upgrading the printer's firmware
If this utility is running on Windows or Mac OS, follow the instructions under the System Maintenance Utility heading to update the printer's system software.
If the System Maintenance Utility fails to update the printer's system software, or to upgrade the printer from any other operating system (such a UNIX(R) or DOS), see the "Other Operating Systems" section.
- Ensure that all of the printer(s) requiring the update are turned on. Also, ensure that the computer running the application can print to each printer.
- Click here to download the System Maintenance Utility from HP at http://www.Designjet.hp.com/PreSalesHome.html?ticket=UHLDTpwei7&pageseq=66783596. Use the following path to access and download the utility from the Web:
- From the main page, select Technical support from the left-navigation bar.
- Select the appropriate HP Designjet 500 or 800 series printer.
- Select System maintenance (listed under self support).
- To download, click System Software under the appropriate Operating System (OS).
- When prompted, save the installation application in the Temp file on the C: drive.
- When the download is complete, click Open when prompted. Ensure the language selection is correct and click OK. All necessary files will be installed. The application will then analyze each of the printers that are configured for the computer and report on its current state.
- If any of the printers are out of date, the application will prompt an update. The update process sends a special file to the printer.
- Double-click the printer that needs to be upgraded, then click Next.
- Once the update is complete, a descriptive drawing showing the printer being unplugged will be displayed on the front panel. When this picture is displayed, unplug the printer. Wait 30 seconds, and plug it in. This will delete all pending print jobs, therefore, do not print during the upgrade process.
NOTE: The update process may take several minutes. Do not turn the printer off before the drawing showing the printer being unplugged appears on the front panel display. If there are any problems during the upgrade, or if the upgrade does not work, it may be necessary to upgrade using the "Other Operating Systems" section below.
Once the printer is upgraded, the new firmware revisions should report on the front panel. To view and confirm the firmware revisions:
- Highlight the Setup menu on the printer front panel display and press Enter.
- Highlight Printer Info, and press Enter.
- Select View, and press Enter.
- Using the Arrow keys, scroll down to view the printer's current firmware revisions. The current firmware revisions may include:
- Engine F/W: A.02.xx
- Formatter F/W: A.02.xx (only in the HP Designjet 800 series and HP Designjet 500 with HP-GL/2 accessory card)
- Hard Disk F/W: D.02.xx (only in the HP Designjet 800 series)
Cannot find the printer
The printer must be configured to print from the computer that is running the System Maintenance Utility. If the printer receives prints but does not appear in the list, select All Printers in the View menu. If it still fails to appear, perhaps the printer is not turned on or cannot be contacted. Try printing a simple page to see if the computer can connect to the printer.
If the printer is not found select File, then New from the menu bar and enter the IP address. Continue the upgrade as above.
NOTE: If the printer is connected via an external HP Jetdirect box it will be necessary to connect directly via parallel cable and choose: system emergency from the menu bar. Continue the upgrade as listed above.
Want the old revision of firmware restored?
If the behavior of the printer is less preferred than before it was upgraded, it is possible to downgrade the printer by selecting Downgrade in the Version menu. A prompt will allow a choice from a list of previous firmware versions.
Other operating systems
NOTE: If the System Maintenance Utility has been downloaded correctly from www.hp.com but problems arise while upgrading printer firmware via the System Maintenance Utility, another download is not necessary. The files can be found in the default directory located in C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Designjet system Maintenance. Proceed to the heading "Upgrade Process."
If the operating system is any other operating system (such as UNIX or DOS), perform the next two steps, and then proceed under the heading "Upgrade Process."
- Download the appropriate system maintenance utility from www.hp.com. When prompted, save the installation application in the Temp file on the C: drive.
- Open the folder when prompted, once the download is complete. Ensure the language is set to English and click OK. All necessary files will be installed.
If the System Maintenance Utility is unable to successfully upgrade firmware to a printer, send the files by connecting the printer to a PC through the parallel port.
- Open a DOS session by clicking Start, Programs, then Command Prompt/MS DOS.
- Type C:, and then press Enter.
- Type cd Program Files, and then press Enter.
- Type cd Hewlett-packard, and then press Enter.
- Type cd HP Designjet System Maintenance, then press Enter. The location should now be C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Designjet system Maintenance.
- From the above location, type copy /b DJ500HPGL_Axxxx.FMW LPT1, then press Enter to send the formatter code image (the "xxxx" refers to the most current firmware revision). The formatter code image should be sent only if the printer has the HPGL/2 accessory card installed. The printer's front panel will display FMTUPGRADE (or similar) in the Job Management menu. Once the upgrade is done, the printer will return to a Ready state.
- Type copy /b DJ500_Axxxx.FMW LPT1, then press Enter to send the engine code image. An image of the printer, with an arrow pointing to the control panel, along with a column of scrolling zeros and ones, will be displayed on the front panel display for a short period of time. Then, an image of an hourglass, followed by an image of the printer showing a power cord, and an arrow pointing away from the wall, will be displayed.
- Remove the power cord from the back of the printer. Do not turn power off with the power switch. Wait 30 seconds.
- Replace the power cord. The printer will re-initialize.
CAUTION: Do not turn power off, or unplug the printer, until prompted, on the front panel display
- From C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Designjet system Maintenance, type copy /b DJ800DISK_Axxxx.FMW LPT1, then press Enter to send the hard disk image (the "xxxx" refers to the most current firmware revision). The printer front panel will display Upgrading to... (or similar). Once the upgrade of the hard disk image is complete the printer will display a message other than Upgrading to... (Message will vary due to the printer's current state).
- Type copy /b DJ800PS_Axxxx.FMW LPT1, and then press Enter to send the formatter code image. The printer's front panel will display FMTUPGRADE (or similar) in the job management menu. Once the upgrade is done, the printer will display a message other than FMTUPGRADE (Message will vary due to the printer's current state).
- Type copy /b DJ500_Axxxx.FMW LPT1, then press Enter to send the engine code image. An image of the printer, with an arrow pointing to the control panel, along with a column of scrolling zeros and ones will, be displayed on the front panel display for a short period of time. Then, an image of an hourglass, followed by an image of the printer showing a power cord, and an arrow pointing away from the wall, will be displayed.
- Remove the power cord from the back of the printer. Do not turn the power off with the power switch. Wait 30 seconds.
- Plug the printer back in.
- The printer will initialize.
- The process is now complete.
CAUTION: Do not turn the power off, or unplug the printer, until prompted, on the front panel display
Priming the new ink tube assembly
The steps outlined in the HP Designjet 500 and 800 Series Service Manual should cause the priming process to occur on initialization of the printer. If the priming process completed successfully, skip to the next section ("Resetting the
Service Station counter"). If the priming process did not begin automatically, perform the following steps:
- Turn the printer on (a message will be displayed indicating the normal printheads must not be installed).
- Use the Up or Down Arrow keys to access the Set-up menu and press Enter.
- Press the Up Arrow key and the Enter key simultaneously to enter the Service Tools menu.
- Using the Arrow keys, scroll to Service utilities, and press Enter.
- Scroll to Prime tubes, and press Enter.
- The display will confirm the request to prime the tubes, press Enter to continue.
- Once confirmation is complete, the informational display will be seen. At this time, turn the printer off then on, and follow on screen instructions, if any.
- When instructed by the printer, lift the Top cover, open the Carriage printhead cover and examine all ink levels inside each setup printhead.
- The setup printheads should be full of ink.
- If any of the setup printheads indicate low or out of ink, select Not all with ink and the printer will prompt another priming cycle.
- Once all setup printheads have been filled with ink, select All with some ink and follow the printer's instructions to bring the printer to operational status.
NOTE: The printer may require a new ink cartridge for any cartridge that indicates a level less than 20 ml of ink.
- Continue with resetting the Service Station counter.
Resetting the Service Station counter
After the priming procedure is completed, the Service Station counter must be reset or the printer will give a premature Maintenance Advised message. After the printer returns to a Ready state, perform the following reset:
- Enter the Set-Up menu.
- Press the Up Arrow key and the Enter key simultaneously to enter the Service Tools menu.
- Using the Arrow keys, scroll to Service Utilities and press Enter.
- Scroll to EEROM Setup and press Enter.
- Select Reset usage counter and press Enter.
- Select SERV STATION Usage and press Enter.
- Check the ink tubes system for leaks and verify printer functionality by printing successfully.
Windows (R) and MS Windows (R) are
U.S. registered trademarks of Microsoft Corp.
Copyright Hewlett-Packard Co. 2001
This information is subject to change without notice and
is provided "as is" with no warranty.
Hewlett-Packard shall not be liable for any direct,
indirect, special, incidental or consequential damages
in connection with the use of this material.
Big on OEM New, Remanufactured and Compatible Ink, Ribbons and toners for
Printers, Plotters and Postage Machines